Thursday, December 16, 2010

The end

I made it back to London carrying-on my gigantic backpack just in time to meet the four English boys for some drinks and a night out. With a few ciders and more techno than I could appreciate, we played pool throughout the evening before heading back to the house for wine, Swiss chocolate and some reminiscing about their time in the States (07-08) and my experiences traveling and in Italy.

On Monday I hopped on a plane that in the course of 16 hours had me back to the west coast. I turned my cell phone on to receive a series of messages regarding my account, and a few well-planned texts welcoming me home. I can't believe I'm back.

Looking back on my trip, I couldn't be more happy with my experiences. I had a great time traveling during the first portion, getting that classic American college grad western Europe sightseeing tour out of the way. But by far my time on the farms are what made the trip exactly what I wanted and meant the most to me.

This entire trip was meant to be two things for me. First, it was to re-acquaint me with old friends abroad and Second it was to be a period of time to relax, refocus and recenter before starting the next stage of my life.

I'm spending two weeks in Reno (until the 10th) before I go back to San Diego, where I'm giving myself one month to find a decent job and two months to find a serious job (as in one that is career focused/what I actually want to do with my life). I'm fortunate to have some friends who are willing to pull out their sofa beds for me during that time as I definitely have no income, home, or car and very minimal savings after this trip.

As for jobs, I've been doing lots of research of companies and organizations that I'm interested in since I arrived back to the States. Applying to jobs is a time consuming process!! I adjust my resume quite a bit between each job so as to highlight my more relevant experience and adjust my letter of application and it takes forever!!

If you'd like to follow my life since Europe and all of my future blogs, check out stephusry.blogspot.com. (I promise I won't make you subscribe to anything else!)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. Since you've been back for more than 2 months, I imagine you realize this now, but finding a "good" job takes 4 - 6 months, easy. Applying it also a full time job. I think it's supposed to be something like you need at least 40 hours a week of applying for like 2 months to find a real career job...

    Good luck in working out the next step. Don't be afraid to "waste" a year and just pick up whatever experience you can. That's what I've been doing over the last year, and as a result I'm now working in Australia and theoretically have a pretty sweet job lined up for my return to California...

    ReplyDelete